Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Dance, Dance Fever


Youth Bosnian Dance Troop



Guest dancers, Philippine - American Dance Troop



We attended the International Women's Day Celebration and Bosnian Folk Dance Festival this last weekend. Bosnian dance troops of various ages (youth & adult) from Idaho, Iowa, Utah and California participated in the festival demonstrating various dances, all in celebration of their traditions that go back for centuries. Our daughter-in-law is a part of the Idaho Bosnian Dance troop and it was fun to watch her gliding across the stage performing the various steps. In contrast, it reminded me of how little I celebrate God’s grace and gift of salvation through worship, whether it be singing, piano, or dance. 2 Samuel 6:13-15 speaks of David wearing a linen ephod and dancing with all of his might in celebration of returning the ark to Jerusalem. While I probably wouldn’t be able to find a linen ephod at the local Banana Republic [ although I wouldn’t be surprised if they were at Abercrombie and Fitch J :-) ], and dancing with all my might could cause passersby to call the paramedics, I can seek other ways to celebrate God’s grace through prayer, music, and praise. I would encourage you not let anyone stand in the way of your celebration. It is also recorded in 2 Samuel 6:16-21 That Michal, daughter of Saul (and wife betrothed to David I might add) saw David dancing about and despised him in her heart. When she reproaches him for the dance, he replies “I will celebrate before the LORD”. Join me in celebrating God, author of our salvation and celebrating his glorious Son who died & rose again that we might live eternally, joining him in heaven.

No comments: