Saturday, June 03, 2006

Am I my brother's keeper?

Ah, the good old days


I hear a lot of people talk about how they can hardly stand to be with one of their family members. Often times, it's a brother, sister, or parent that they just can't stand or at the very least, a person with whom they are quite annoyed. Maybe it's that brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law that is an outlaw in your book. The first family feud was recorded in Genesis 4:1-13. I'm sure you remember the story. Cain and Abel both bring sacrifices as an offering for worshipping God. God accepted Abel’s animal offering but did not accept Cain’s offering of fruit. Cain says, “What gives?” and seems to pout a little bit. God says, “No need to be upset, just bring be an animal sacrifice as I’ve asked you to bring.” (Ok, I’ve paraphrased a bit here). Cain has other plans. His anger and bitterness turn to rage towards his brother. He lures Abel out into the fields and kills him there.

God knowing this goes to Cain, and asks, “Where is your brother Abel?” And Cain replies, “I don't know," … "Am I my brother's keeper?" Of course God doesn’t let him off of the hook, and his life is miserable from that point on. You may be saying, “Hold on Doug, anger, annoyance, avoiding someone doesn’t equal murder.” In Matthew 5:20-22. Christ says,


"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment."

Ouch, I don’t know about you but it hits a little too close to home for me. I will tell you this, my brother and I had a really good relationship. We talked on the phone at least once a week and really got along well. However, I took him for granted. He would suggest getting our families together and go bowling or go out for pie and I didn’t do it. Luckily, a month before his helicopter accident, my son and I went fishing with him and his stepson. I took my brother for granted, always assuming that he would be there, someone to hang out with when we’re old and gray and to share memories of the good old days. That wasn’t to be and I greatly regret it.

If you’re at odds with someone in your family, I would encourage you to reach out to them and put away your differences.

No comments: