Sunday, December 17, 2006

Are You My Mission?



From as far back as I can remember, missionaries would come to the churches to which we belonged, and give reports on the work that had been done, in the name of Christ, in other lands. I can remember being a small child, fascinated with the stories of distant people and places, often times hanging on the missionary’s every word. If you're like me, when you hear the word missionary, missions, or missions work, images of selfless workers treading through jungles, fighting thirst and malaria come to mind. I remember a time when I was in High School and a visiting missionary was giving a sermon. The missionary ask, would you be willing to go and tell someone about the saving grace of Jesus, (or at least words to that effect) if so, please stand up. God's Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and ask that same question, and I felt compelled to say yes, in my heart and to stand up signifying that I would do so.

I was a little surprised when after dinner, my mother approached me and said that her friend caught her after church and told her how exciting it was that I have committed to being a missionary. My reply was, "When did I do that?" Sometimes I can be quite literal, when the missionary asked would someone be willing to tell others about Christ, I was thinking, I'm willing to do so, but I had the students in my school and the people I worked with after schools in mind rather than hopping a plane for the missions field. It appeared to at least some of the members of the church, standing up meant I was leaving.

I think that sometimes it is easy for us to say, we don't have a calling to be a missionary and instead throw some money in the collection plate as it goes by to feel a part of the whole missions process. Please don't misunderstand me; I think it is very important to monetarily support missions. But I think there's more to the story than that. Christ says in John 4:35-36:

Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together.


I think he is telling us, you don't have to go any where to be a missionary, look around you, the workplace, your family, friends, people you golf with, the PTA, the list goes on, and these people are your and my mission fields. Some are asked of God to leave their homes and their families and travel far away. Two good friends of ours, Sue Carpenter & Carolyn Boyd, of Carpenter's Cross Ministries have made this great sacrifice and God has used them to make a difference in other parts of the world. But for those of us who have not felt that gentle nudge into foreign missions, I would say look around you the fields are ripe. I pray that our Lord would both encourage and empower me in this area.

No comments: