Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pomp & Circumstance


This last weekend was an eventful one. My daughter has been studying at Calvary Chapel Bible College and has attained her Theology Degree. Although she’s spent the last two semesters in York, England, we traveled to the main campus in Murrieta, California, where she spent her first year, to attend the graduation ceremony. The other big event was my daughter turned twenty, no longer a teenager. Two more milestones that say she’s heading out on a life of her own. I told her that she was supposed to stay four years old and not grow up on me. She laughed, probably not realizing that I meant it.

Part of the anxiety of my little girl growing up is she’ll be striking out on her own soon. It’s hard to let go of her and put her completely in God’s hands. I’m one of those fathers that would sit up and wait for her, when she was out with her friends, until she got home, regardless of the time. Just for the record, I’m not any better regarding my son. A married man of 24, in my mind he’s all of five years old. It’s been difficult to let go knowing that he and his wife need to strike out on their own.

I’m really going to have to put I Peter 5:7 to the test. You know the passage:

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Solomon writes in I Psalm 127:3 that children are a reward from the Lord. I thank the Lord for rewarding me with such wonderful children. A reward that lives on regardless of age.



No comments: