Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Cup

When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God."

After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.” Luke 22:14-20

Last Sunday was Communion Sunday. On the first Sunday of every month, our church celebrates communion. Communion Sunday always brings a little sadness and thankfulness at the same time. Sad that as I review my actions during the month since the last communion, I remember all of the times that I let Christ down, thankful that because of Christ’s great sacrifice I don’t have to bear the punishment that I deserve. Christ said, “..do this in remembrance of me.” & “This cup is the new covenant…” With thankfulness I do remember what Christ has done for me and the new covenant he has made with me.

Christ’s offer of a new covenant is open to everyone. Christ said this prayer for all of his believers both then and for the believers to come.

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. John 17:20-23

You too can be a part of this covenant with Christ. It’s there for the asking.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Dear Doug
Have not been here for ages...
As habve been really ill.....
Also forgot most of my passwords etc....
No longer have computer @ home
so am useing library but can't always get on...
NEW E?MAIL is butter2puffs@yahoo.com Just temp...