Monday, May 19, 2008

The Roaring Ocean

The seas have lifted up, O LORD,
       the seas have lifted up their voice;
       the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.

Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
       mightier than the breakers of the sea—
       the LORD on high is mighty. 
Psalm 93:3-4

Haystack Rock Cannon Beach, Oregon

I enjoy visiting the ocean side. I forget the power of the surf and the roar of the waves until I've reached the sandy beach and the ragged water's edge.    It is at that time, that the ocean's roar overwhelms me and immediately reminds me of its creator. 

And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.  Genesis 1:9-10

I am humbled and amazed that the creator his this ocean, and in fact the universe would be concerned about my welfare and the welfare of man in general.  Matthew  10: 29-31 tells us:

 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

We can take comfort knowing that the creator knows all there is to know about us and wants to care for us.  The strongest evidence of this love and demonstration of the his desire for positively affecting our well being, was the offering of his Son, Jesus Christ , for our reconciliation to him.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."  John 4:16

No comments: