Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day 2008

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Grandfather

Bridging generations with ageless love

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is my first Father's Day as a grandfather.  I go by the moniker Granddad.  Grandpa or Grandfather seems a little "Rocking chair & shawl" for me.  It's not that I mind being a grandfather but it's taking me a little time to remember that this is my new name.  I've always been Dad or Pops, until the latest arrival of our family.

  When I was visiting my new grandchild in the hospital, I first ran into this name confusion.  The nurse was following my son and me out of the hospital room.  She said," Dad, I'll just close this door since we're going to be out of the room for a while."  I replied,"Sounds good to me." and she said" Or Grandpa." oh yeah, I'm not Dad but rather Granddad.

This was my first realization that my role in the family has changed once again.  Another generation has been added to our family.  It provides a whole new prospective on our family for me.  I often wonder what my role will be in helping form this new life for my grandchild.

I think one of the things I can help with is sharing the knowledge of God with our little guy. We read in Deuteronomy 6:5-7:

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

I think the term children in these verses can refer to our grandchildren as well.  My prayer is that my grandson will have a true and special relationship with our heavenly Father and the Son, Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post.

Best wishes.

Sincerely,

-Liane Schmidt.

Anonymous said...

I agree with liane. Beautiful post . I have bookmarked your blog.

Doug said...

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.