Sunday, November 23, 2008

We're In His Arms

We had our little grandson with us this weekend. Our little guy is at that stage where he is trying to pull himself up on things in order to learn how to walk.  He will crawl through the house at speeds that are surprisingly fast.  His footing is a little precarious on the hardwood floors, so I follow him on his little route as he weaves through the chair rungs, under the table and out the other side. Of course I don't follow his exact route, I'm waiting for him on the other side of the table.  From there he'll make his way to the kitchen drawers or to the sliding window that leads to the back garden and will try to use them to pull himself up and brace him so he can stand. As I mentioned, it's very easy for him to lose his footing on the slick wood floors so I surround him with my arms so that I can quickly grab him if he starts to fall.  I can't help him, because he wants to do it himself.  I can only be prepared to catch him when he falls.

That is similar to what our heavenly father does for us when we lose our footing on life's path? We think we're going it alone, forging a path through unknown territory, making our way in life.   But we're not alone, our heavenly father is there, trying to lead us if we will follow him and prepared to catch us when we loose our footing and need to be picked up and put back on the path.

My favorite Psalm has these verses in it.

My help comes from the LORD,
       the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—
       he who watches over you will not slumber; Psalm 121:2-3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Picture of God's love for us!

Thank you.