Sunday, January 08, 2006

Happy New Year 2006



A time of reflection and looking towards the future......

2005 started out slowly, but quickly picked up speed with my daughter graduating from High School. The months leading up to May became a whirlwind of prom dresses (my job was to carry the bags & do my best to suppress making comments such as “My vote is for the little floor length number with the high neck and long selves” :-) ) giving advice on colleges, and slowly realizing that a chapter of my life was closing and new one was about to begin (I'm still dealing with this one). On the heels of graduation came Royal Family Kids' Camp (RFKC) http://www.rfkcboise.org and this year a new role. In years past, I've participated as a camp counselor, but this year I was asked to be one of the music leaders - officially known a Music Man Doug. Thanks to the help of Jenn, Sue and Carolyn http://www.carpenters-cross.org , and most importantly the fact that the Lord continues on where my very limited, shall we say non-existent talent leaves off, I found the whole experience to be a very positive one. We had the extra bonus of meeting & making new friends, Mel & Pete, who came all the way from Australia to participate as a counselor and a staff member. Summer also brought a brief camping trip which included canoeing on the Meanders, a clear mountain river that connects upper and lower Payette lakes. September meant it was time for our daughter to go off to college. We traveled with her to her campus, helped her set up in her new dorm room and marveled at the beauty of grounds (this place used to be a resort). It's always hard letting go of our children, and yet we must do so, although I will admit to wondering how mad she would be if I enrolled and stayed. After Thanksgiving We found that we had additional things for which to be thankful. My father-in-law survived a heart attack and the subsequent surgery. Christmas was peaceful and uneventful and time to enjoy friends and family.

2006 holds a lot of excitement. Our friends John & DeAnn, Sue &Carolyn, Graeme & Angela (from Australia) and we are going to rent abeach house, the week before RFKC. We're praying for an exceptional camp the following week, and then it's off to England to take my daughter to school. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: